Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Try Something New in 2012: Roasted Duck Breast

I've wanted to try to cook duck for the longest time. My kids tried it when we were traveling abroad last year to see family and they loved it. My son said, "Mom, it tastes like dark meat chicken." I walked by Spain Farm's booth one Saturday at the WWFM and they had some duck breast for me to buy. I hesitantly bought two breasts not knowing how I was going to cook them. A truly amazing and completely local feast took shape.

Preparation

I marinated the duck for only a couple of hours in an asian marinade with garlic, ginger, tamari (GF soy sauce), olive oil and honey (everything except for the tamari and olive oil were fresh from the market). I seared the duck fat side down in an oven proof pan for 6 minutes. I then transferred it to a 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes and let it rest before serving. Perfection.

Sides

I really searched around the internet for a long time trying to decide what to serve with the duck. I had to use my big head of red cabbage and I wanted to use some of the fresh fennel I bought so I combed the internet and found a recipe called Braised Red Cabbage and added some fennel as well.

I needed to green things up a bit so I whipped up a spinach/tatsoi salad. The spinach and tatsoi were delicious. I used some herbed goat cheese along with dried berries and crushed almonds.

My guests were very satisfied and I'm always happy when I try something new and it actually works. I'm no longer afraid of cooking duck and if you have to call it "chicken duck" to get your kids to eat it than so be it. What new dishes will you try in 2012? Look no farther than the Western Wake Farmers' Market for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment