Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Market to Menu: Cookbooks Guide the Way

I enjoy cooking, and I also enjoy how what I'm cooking for my family changes with the seasons. In the interest of full disclosure though, I have to admit that I may like reading about food and cooking even more. So I'm always on the look-out for new cookbooks for my collection! Recently, two new books caught my attention. Given their focus, I thought it was worth sharing here. If any of our market readers have them or purchase them, send us your own little review at info@WesternWakeFarmersMarket.org and let us know what you think!

First is a new book from Emeril Lagasse, Farm to Fork: Cooking Local, Cooking Fresh. A review from last week's Wall Street Journal seems favorable and includes a recipe as well. The author says the celebrity chef touts farmers' market shopping, grass-fed beef and fresh veggies, but she also notes that she finds the organization of the book a bit chaotic. I'm curious and will probably buy it before too long...

Second is Edible: A Celebration of Local Foods, from the folks who bring us the Edible Communities magazines, including Edible Piedmont, which explores the local food scene in our area. This one, published in April, has favorable reviews at Amazon.com, which also say the book is a good source of information for those who want to learn more about eating locally and the local food movement. It is divided by regions and includes recipes for the Southeast. If anyone has a copy, let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment