Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Get Creative with Crepes!

This past Saturday, I got a bag of peaches from Andy at Clayton Orchard. An overflowing bag-full, I gave a few to my mom and shared one with my sister Saturday after the market. This morning, I still had 7 perfect peaches on my counter and was contemplating what to do with them.

Of course, a perfectly delicious option is to simply eat and enjoy them whole, as is, but I had the itch to “make something.” Crepes came to mind. My daughter is returning from a visit with grandma in Asheville this afternoon, and she loves crepes. They are a simple, tasty snack and kind of a blank slate to which you can add anything you like. Similar to a pancake but in my mind, more versatile. With a greater proportion of egg in the mixture, crepes are more pliable than pancakes and can be used like a tortilla — breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. And you can put just about anything you like inside, wrap it up and enjoy!

So I whipped up a batch, then prepared one for myself, thinking I would add my fresh sliced peaches and a drizzle of maple syrup. But then I opened the fridge and saw the basil from Ben's Produce. On top of the peaches went chopped basil. And some goat cheese from Hillsborough Cheese Co. A last-minute decision was the drizzle of local honey instead of maple syrup. Mmmmm. The dish was light, fresh, sweet but not too sweet, and so easy! I ate two, and there are plenty left for my daughter.

So, whip up a batch at home and add your favorite local ingredients for an easy, delicious dish - anytime. The photo isn't the clearest, but it gives you an idea of how my crepe creation came together.

Crepes

Yield: Eight 8-inch crepes

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 TBS oil

Whisk all ingredients together. Let batter sit for 30 minutes. Into hot skillet, pour batter, ¼ to ⅓ cup at a time. As soon as batter is poured into skillet, move the pan around to spread the mixture, forming a thin circle. Cook for 20-30 seconds on each side or until lightly browned. Layer crepes with waxed paper to prevent sticking to each other.

Submitted by Market Manager Kim Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment